1. (True or False) Labor pain is a normal, physiological process, making it unique from other forms of acute or chronic pain.
List a proposed benefit and proposed adverse effect of
Benefit:__________________________________________________________________________________________________ Adverse Effect: ____
3. Name a factor that could influence labor pain in each of the following categories:
Use the terms below to fill in the blanks for each of the following:
4. An impulse travels along a nerve in the form of an .
5. Nerves that transmit pain signals are called .
6. Pain can be modulated within the before it travels upwards to the brain.
7. The type of nerve fiber that carries pleasant touch sensations to the spinal cord is .
8. This action is believed to inhibit a pain signal at its source. .
9. The theory proposes that pain signals are blocked before traveling to the brain because of competing stimuli within the spinal cord.
10. These cognitive interventions can minimize pain perception within the brain: and .
11. A laboring woman’s brain is rich with receptors.
Match the hormone(s) with their effect on labor pain in the following:
(a) Endorphin (b) Oxytocin (c) Catecholamines (d) Estrogen & Progesterone
12. Activates pain relieving pathways in the brain and spinal cord
13. Increases pain threshold and initiates mothering behavior when released within the
14. Can alter a woman’s state of consciousness, increase pain tolerance, and induce feelings
of euphoria and dependency
15. Increases in response to fear and anxiety, potentially inhibiting labor and increasing pain
16. Which of the following factors have been shown to significantly improve women’s satisfaction with their birth experience?
(Circle all that apply)
a. Involvement in decision making
b. 24-hour anesthesia coverage
c. Support from caregivers
d. Minimal pain
e. Expectations met
17. Name one source for evidence based information on labor pain and/or other aspects of maternity care: